Sunday, August 5, 2007

More money spent...

This weekend has surely turned out to be one of the most expensive yet...

Weeks ago, I read that there was going to be a Truffles Festival in Perth...being such a foodie...I asked Mere if he was interested to go with me and have a look...it's not too far a drive...only about 30 mins away...

There was going to be some cooking classes, talks by world-class chefs, food tasting and even a demonstration of truffles-sniffing dogs..but what I was most interested in was the Produce Market...

Look, I didn't go with much expectations...as we have been disappointed by a lot of such markets already...I knew exactly what to expect...the usual assortment of stalls selling honey, jams, pickles and olive oil...granted u can't get these in your normal supermarkets coz they are directly from the farms and small businesses...but still, it gets boring after a while...

The Produce Market was exactly as I described...BUT I was there on a mission...I wanted to get a bottle of truffle oil...

Disappointingly, there was only 1 stall selling truffle oil...can u believe that? I mean, this is a truffle festival for god's sake! I am happy for the other stalls to carry on selling their non-truffle related goods, but hey, didn't the organisers think of getting more relevant businesses involved?

Anyway, we did a bit of tasting before going ahead with our purchase...it was decent, not fantastic :(

and it wasn't all free tasting by the way, tho I can understand...these truffles are $200 per gram...

All we had were:
A slice of hazelnut bread with truffle butter - $2
A slice of bread with brie cheese & truffles - $5
A cube-sized New Norcia Nut Bread - Free
A tiny piece of bread dipped in truffle oil - Free

A little disappointed I didn't get to try the soft-boiled egg with truffle shavings...all sold out by the time I got there...

So, I got my bottle of truffle oil for $30 and we simply trudged home...I still can't believe all it takes to flavour the entire bottle of oil is one tiny slice of truffle...maybe half the size of a 5c piece...
Yes folks, the little black speck you see on the bottom left...that's what all the fuss is about...Let's hope that tiny slice does its magic...I'll let you all know if the oil is really worth its weight in gold...

On a happier note, Mere and I can look forward to a freebie on Wednesday...as a job perk...I occasionally get free tickets for movie premiers organised by the radio station that my company advertises with...last time it was Fantastic Four 2, now it's Die Hard 4.0...let's face it, this movie is more for Mere than me...but at least Maggie Q is going to be in it...I'll just eat my popcorn and shut-up...

No comments: